The single best way to remove mold from your bathroom is to stop it from forming in the first place. While that’s often easier said than done, it’s still very doable, provided you know how to go about it.
Here are four effective steps that will work for you, too.
- Keep your bathroom well-ventilated while showering. If there’s a window in your bathroom, crack it open just a little, even if you have an exhaust fan. No window? That’s when an exhaust fan becomes doubly important. Keep it on during the shower and let it stay on for at least 15 minutes afterward. Also, be sure to remove the cover and clean the fan from time to time – otherwise dirt and dust can hinder its effectiveness. Once you exit the bathroom, leave the bathroom door open.
- If you have a shower curtain, stretch it out completely after exiting the tub or shower enclosure. Otherwise, mold can and will form in the cracks.
- If, on the other hand, you have sliding glass doors, wipe them down after your shower to wipe away moisture. Periodically clean the glass doors and shower enclosure even when not showering as an added defense against mold.
- Keep an eye out for bathroom leaks, especially in hard-to-spot places like behind your toilet or under your sink, inside the vanity. A little moisture left undetected is all it takes to launch a colony of mold.
- Already have mold and want to know how best to get rid of it? Here are some equally effective measures.
- Mix bleach with warm water and spray it directly on the mold spots or onto a sponge and then wipe the mold away. Bleach is a potent substance so, to avoid staining, don’t use too much.
- If you don’t have a supply of bleach, you also can use Borax; vinegar; ammonia, and a mixture of vinegar, baking soda, and water.
- After applying your mold cleaner, thoroughly rinse the surface and wipe it away with a disposable wipe after each application.
- If mold has made its way onto your bathroom ceiling, first remove it using the steps above, then repaint the affected area to prevent a re-occurrence.
- Even the most careful of homeowners can still have mold issues – if you’re one of them, Plumbtastic is here to assist you. We can, for example, break up clogged drains and toilets and take steps to help prevent future clogs. Leak detection and repair are among our bathroom plumbing specialties, as are repairing or replacing a leaking toilet. No matter what the plumbing need, contact Plumbtastic today or anytime. We do it all, and all with your satisfaction guaranteed.