Shrinking one’s carbon footprint often feels like an insurmountable task. Sure, we recycle glass, paper, and plastic, tote around reusable water bottles, and remember to trot around reusable grocery bags – well, most of the time. But if you’re looking to do a little more to help the fight against landfill waste, here are some affordable products well worth trying.
- Beeswax Wrap – Stop spending money on plastic wrap and tin-foil and try earth-friendly beeswax wrap instead. Made from sustainable, natural ingredients, beeswax wrap is 100% recyclable, biodegradable, and can be washed and reused.
- Cotton Rounds – Perfect for removing makeup and nail polish, reusable cotton rounds can be machine washed (you might want to do so in a small laundry bag) and reused up to 1,000 times.
- Glass Food Containers – Unlike plastic food containers which retain odors and can crack over time, most glass containers are oven, microwave, and dishwasher safe and can be placed in the freezer.
- Snack Bags – Whether tossed in the lunchbox, used for on-the-go snacking, or for storing small items, a set of reusable snack bags will pay for itself in no time. Look for ones that are easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
- Produce Bags – Sure, it’s one more thing to remember as you head for the grocery store, but replacing plastic produce bags with their reusable, machine-washable counterparts will greatly reduce the amount of plastic bag waste.
- Coffee Pods – There’s nothing more convenient than producing a cup of piping hot coffee with the touch of a button, but those disposable cartridges are anything but eco-friendly. Try a reusable pod instead. You can choose from BPA-free plastic or stainless steel.
- Wool Dryer Balls – Do you have a love-hate relationship with fabric softeners and dryer sheets? You love that your clothes come out smelling great and static-free but hate adding chemicals to your wash and throwing sheets in the trash. Next time try wool dryer balls. You can choose pre-scented or add a drop or two of your favorite essential oil. What’s more, they can cut your drying time by 25% while reducing static and wrinkles. They also last for up to 1,000 loads.
Here at Plumbtastic, we’re on the eco-friendly side of the fence, too. With low-flow toilets and faucets to offer, motion-sensitive faucets, tankless water heaters, and more green plumbing products in our repertoire, we can help you extend your green living habits even further. Contact us today for more information or an quote on your next plumbing project.