Changing or enhancing hair color is common practice for both men and women. But there’s a dark side to the practice, one that’s all too common: staining your sink, tub, or shower doors.
Has that recently happened to you? If so, you may be staring at those colorful streaks and spots, wondering just how permanent they might be.
Don’t despair! There are several ways to remove hair dye from porcelain and fiberglass finishes, including the following:
- Rubbing alcohol. Apply some of this powerful cleaner to a rag or cotton ball and wipe the stain. Be careful to avoid any painted surfaces because alcohol can remove that too.
- Nail polish remover. Acetone, the active ingredient in nail polish remover, also works wonders on hair dye stains. Once again, steer clear of any painted or wooden finishes. For a little extra cleaning power, try using a Magic Eraser.
- Vinegar and baking soda. Create a paste with these two natural ingredients and use a sponge or old toothbrush to scrub the stains from the surface. Rinse and repeat if needed.
- Lemon essential oil. Another natural cleaning option, this powerful cleaner can naturally bleach out the spots and is safe on almost all surfaces.
- OxiClean and water. Mix these two substances together to make a powerful (and multi-purpose) cleaner. You may want to use a nylon brush or kitchen scrubbing sponge to cleanse the affected area. Make sure the sponge is non-scratching.
- Soft Scrub with bleach. Soft Scrub has just the right combination of cleaning solution, whitening power, and non-abrasive grit to remove just about any bathroom stain. Just use a dab of water and a bit of cleaner on a sponge to scrub the spots from your tub or sink.
Did it work? If so, we’re glad to be of service, just as we are for any home plumbing need you might have. For outstanding service, repair, and new installations, contact Plumbtastic – your local plumber that does it all.