Sure, a watched pot may never boil, but that boiling teapot of water can do more than produce a piping hot beverage. From drains to stains and lots in between, who knew something as simple and cheap as boiling water could do so much?
Here are 6 ingenious ways to use boiling water at home.
- All-Natural Weed Killer – Banish those pesky weeds that sprout up between the cracks on your sidewalk with a generous application of boiling water. This method is especially effective against annuals like chickweed, willow herb, and meadow grass.
- All-Natural Drain Cleaner – Remove as much standing water as you can, then pour boiling water directly into the drain or toilet to loosen up the gunk and dislodge the clog. If you have PVC pipes, use only hot tap water to prevent damage to the pipes.
- Stain Remover – Remove fruit stains from clothing and table linens by soaking the item in boiling water until the stain disappears. Have a stain on your brand new carpet? Just pour a little boiling water on the stain and use a clean cloth or paper towel to gently blot the stain out.
- Oil and Grease Remover – Tired of looking at those drops of oil on your garage floor or driveway? Douse them with boiling water and scrub with a stiff brush until the stain is gone.
- Sinus Relief – Relieve sinus pressure naturally by boiling water on the stove and pouring some into a heat-safe bowl. Place a clean towel over your head and lean over the bowl. Tent the towel over your head and the bowl and slowly breathe in the steam.
- Gutter Cleaner – Is your gutter clogged? Carefully pour several large pots of boiling water into the gutter through the downspout (making sure no one is standing below the perimeter of the roof) and watch as the debris floods out!
While you can boil water on your stove or inside your microwave, what about all those uses for plain old everyday hot water – the kind that comes from your water heater? If yours isn’t up to muster, Plumbtastic can help through the right combination of troubleshooting, high-quality repair work, and/or system replacement. Call today for more information or to schedule service.