Think about how you felt and what you experienced the last time you called a drain cleaning professional for assistance and, chances are, you’ll be wide open to suggestions on how to prevent similar problems from ever occurring again.
That’s because any time a drain clogs that you can’t take care of on your own, chances are it’s messy, ill-timed, and potentially embarrassing. With all that in mind, it’s now time for a little Blocked Drain Prevention 101.
- Never grind up fibrous foods in your garbage disposal. Your disposal simply wasn’t meant to handle things like lettuce, spinach, cooked celery, and other ungrindable foods.
- Keep FOG out of your kitchen sink drain. FOG stands for “fats, oils, and grease.” Once inside your drain lines, they have a tendency to adhere to the inside of your pipes. Eventually, the accumulation can be substantial enough to prevent water from passing through.
- Don’t use your toilet as a waste basket or ash tray, and don’t let anyone else use it for either purpose. Toilets are designed to process human waste and toilet paper, and that’s about it.
- Cover your shower drain with a screen. We can’t tell you how many times we’ve been called out to unclog a shower drain caused solely by built-up hair and soapy by-products.
- Run hot water in your kitchen and other sinks after each use to help flush them of any foreign matter inside your drains, regardless of how they may have gotten there
Here’s something else you can do to keep your drains running free and clear. Periodically pour a cup of baking soda down a drain, toilet, or garbage disposal, followed immediately by a cup of white distilled vinegar. Let that combination sit and do its thing for about 30 minutes, then pour a tea kettle full of boiling hot water down the drain or toilet.
If you follow all of this advice to the letter, does that mean you’ll never have another clogged drain problem? Ah, if only we could make such a promise. But we can’t. And neither can anyone else.
But here’s one we can make, and keep. If and when you run into any problems with your toilets or drain lines, you can count on Plumbtastic for a quick response and proven effective drain clearing results. Is that time now? Then contact us today so we can restore order and convenience to your daily routines.