Do you remember celebrating Earth Day as a kid? Heading outside enthusiastically with your classmates to clean up the school grounds, plant a tree, or start a small garden? Well, now that your school years are over, chances are Earth Day 2016 will come and go just like any other day.
But wouldn’t it be nice if this year, you took a break from your busy life to honor the earth like you once did as a kid? Here are 5 fun and easy ways to make a difference and celebrate Earth Day at the same time.
- Leave the car at home. Give your car the day off and find an alternative way to get where you need to go. Help save the planet and get in a little exercise by walking, biking, or rollerblading. If the distance is just too great, take the bus or find someone to carpool with.
- Take recycling to the next level. We all know that recycling is better for the environment than simply throwing things away. But what about those things you can’t toss in the recycling bin? If you have old electronics that you don’t know what to do with, check with your town to see if they offer e-waste recycling days or locate a responsible e-waste recycling center near you.
- Plant something. Whether it’s a tree, a vegetable garden, or a small pot of herbs, get your hands into some dirt this Earth Day. It helps strengthen your bond with nature, gives you a sense of accomplishment, and is great for the environment.
- Harness the power of the sun. We know converting to solar energy can bear some significant upfront costs. But you can use solar on a much smaller scale and still make a difference. Consider, for example, installing solar-powered path lights in front of your home, or purchasing portable solar powered chargers for your smaller electronic devices like laptops, tablets, and smartphones. You’ll save a few bucks on your utility bill while taking some pressure off the electrical grid.
- Unplug and get outside. Turn off the TV, put away the phone, and close the laptop. The best way to celebrate Earth Day is to spend it outdoors enjoying the beautiful, majestic place we get to call home. Have a picnic at the park, go for a hike, fly a kite, or enjoy a game of baseball with your kids.
If the spirit of Earth Day is motivating you to do more to conserve energy at home, Plumbtastic is ready and able to help in more ways than you can shake a faucet aerator at. From low-flush toilets to low-flow shower heads. high efficiency water heaters, and much more, we have multiple green plumbing solutions that can help you as or more comfortably than you’re accustomed while simultaneously reducing your carbon footprint. Contact us today or anytime at all to learn more.