The holidays are a fading memory, a new year is in full swing, and we are officially in what most would describe as the winter doldrums. But before you settle in for a long winter’s nap, there are a few important home maintenance tasks that first need your attention. After all, the best way to head off time-consuming and often costly repairs is with a little preventive action.
So here are 5 home maintenance tasks you can easily tackle this month as you anxiously count the days until spring
- Change water and ice maker filters. Over time, filters can clog and slow the rate of water flow and encourage mold growth. Ideally, filters should be replaced twice a year or as recommended by the manufacturer. Snap a picture or take the old filter to the store with you so you know exactly which one to get.
- Speaking of filters, replace or clean your HVAC filter to keep your home comfort system operating at peak efficiency. And while you’re at it, vacuum all heat vents and registers. This task should be done once a month during peak season.
- Check for drafts around windows, doors, and electrical outlets. Caulk or seal door and window frames, and install foam gaskets on electrical outlets to seal them.
- Get the gunk out of shower, bathtub, and sink drains. Just because the water is flowing fine now, doesn’t mean hair and other debris aren’t accumulating. Remove the drain assembly or grate and clean with an old toothbrush. Then, use a drain stick to clean the main drain and overflow, working it up and down to draw up the gunk.
- Clean your dishwasher. Start by removing the bottom rack so that you can inspect the drain for any chunks or food or other debris that may impede drainage. Replace the rack and fill a dishwasher-safe container with one cup vinegar. Place it on the top rack (right side up) and run a hot-water cycle. Once finished, sprinkle a cup of baking soda on the bottom of the appliance and run a short hot water cycle.
While you’re in the midst of your routine home inspection, how’s your water heater been running lately? If, for example, the water is turning cold before you’re even halfway through a normal shower, and doing so repeatedly, then any number of things could be wrong – and none of them will get better on their own. So for help with your water heater or any other plumbing need at all, contact the professionals at Plumbtastic today for fast and friendly service, and always with a guaranteed upfront price.